Sunday, August 30, 2015

How To Pass The Firefighter Tests


The Firefighter Selection process involves a number of different written tests. These tests usually consist of multiple-choice questions, which are designed to assess a candidate’s abilities and aptitude for becoming a competent firefighter.


The tests themselves will normally be carried out at a local test centre or Fire Service establishment and will take approximately 3 hours to complete. You will receive full details about the tests prior to their test day.


The firefighter written tests are split into two different categories as follows:


1. Ability tests


– Working with numbers;

– Understanding information;

– Situational awareness and problem solving.


2. The National Firefighter Questionnaire


This questionnaire has been designed so as to provide information on your style and your behaviour. The Fire Service will use this information, along with the other results of your tests, to determine whether or not you are suitable to become a firefighter.


If I was preparing for the firefighter tests today, I would first of all ask myself the following two questions:


Q1. Why is the Fire Service assessing me in these areas?


Q2. What would they expect to see from successful candidates?


Once again I will write down my perceived answers to these questions, and I get the following responses:


A1. They want to be sure that I am capable of working with numbers in a fast and competent manner because this is what firefighters are required to do as part of their role. They must use calculations effectively, especially when using breathing apparatus and operating the pump on a fire engine.


The Fire Service also wants to be sure that I can understand information that is relevant to the firefighters role. This will demonstrate to the assessors that I have the potential to pass the firefighter training course and that I also have the ability to complete any future professional development during my career. Finally, they want to be sure that I am aware of situations relevant to the firefighters role and that I can apply a common sense approach to those situations.


A2. The Fire Service would expect to see accurate calculations whilst I am working with numbers and that I can follow appropriate guidance that is provided during the tests. They would expect to see that I am capable of understanding job relevant information and answering questions correctly base around that information. They would also want to see me make common sense, safe decisions when presented with specific scenarios.


Now that I have my two answers I will set out another simple plan that dictates exactly what I am going to do put those answers write. In this particular case it will look something like this:


– I will embark on a structured development programme that will improve my ability to work with numbers. I will carry out a large number of sample test questions and I will obtain further testing booklets and resources to allow me to do that. If I need further assistance or development in this area then I will seek the help of a qualified tutor.


– I will make sure that I fully understand the role of a firefighter so that I can respond to the questions based around ‘understanding information. In order to achieve this I will read and learn the PQAs and also learn about job specific roles such as Community Fire Safety.


– By learning and understanding about the firefighters role, especially in relation to the PQAs, I will be able to respond to situational awareness questions more effectively. I will also ensure that I make myself aware of health and safety and the 5 steps to risk assessment.


Even though the above process is a simple one, it is important that you carry it out as it will focus your mind on the areas that you need to work on and develop.




How To Pass The Firefighter Tests

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Jobs in Lagos- Recent and current Lagos jobs All Right Reserved